- Log into Backstage
- Access existing events in backstage
- Create a new event with Backstage
- Edit event settings in Backstage
- Customize your event with branding
- Adding Participants to your event
- Test/preview your event
- Activate the event (for participants)
Logging into Backstage
Backstage is SpotMe’s content management system (CMS) and a web application. To get started, use your preferred web browser.
- Verify that your web browser is compatible with Backstage.
We recommend the most recent and stable version of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Open your browser and go to http://backstage.spotme.com.
- Enter your Backstage email and password.
- You should have received your email and password with your Backstage invitation.
- Contact your SpotMe Account Manager or your Organization Owner if you have not received an invitation.
Accessing Existing Events in Backstage
When you are logged into Backstage, you can access your events at any time through the homepage (https://backstage.spotme.com/), via the Live Events for a current event, or via the Past Events if your event has already taken place. You can also perform a search for your event using the search bar.
Creating an Event in Backstage
- In the Backstage homepage, in the Quick Links pane on the right, click on Create an Event.
- Choose what type of event to create:
- Production: for a "live" event. A Production event will consume software.
- Sandbox: for testing. A sandbox event is temporary and will be deleted after a few months.
- Your organization will be preselected.
- Click on Create Event.
- Fill in the fields in the Event details as follows:
- Enter the Event name, this will be used within Backstage to identify your event.
- Enter the Start date and end date, this will be used for listing your event in the relevant chronological order in Backstage and in the in-app event list. The event start date is normally the first on-site day of your event.
- Enter the Venue city and time zone:
- Venue city: type in the city where the event will take place, for example "Geneva, Switzerland".
- Venue time zone: Select the city that is the closest to your event on-site location in the drop-down list. This will be used by Backstage to translate any dates and times for sessions, messages, notifications, and more.
- Data location and privacy:
- In the first drop-down menu, choose the continent where your event takes place.
Note: For events in Africa please select "Europe".
- In the second drop-down menu, choose the privacy document(s) that will need to be accepted by participants before accessing the event. Multiple documents can be added.
- Create new document: you can also create new documents to be used by clicking on the Create new document button. This will allow you to customize and create your own privacy requirements document to be accepted by participants.
- In the first drop-down menu, choose the continent where your event takes place.
- Container event is an advanced feature that will link multiple events to one main event. Contact your Account Manager for more details.
- Test event: Check this checkbox if this event is used for test, training, or demo purposes. Seats and other entitlements will not be consumed on this event.
- Once all event details have been added, click on Proceed.
- In the Blueprint page, select the SpotMe default blueprint, then click on Proceed.
- Fill in the fields in the Event details page as follows:
- In the Container App dropdown list, select the "Eventspace by SpotMe (eventspace)" app.
- In the In-app event list section, fill in the dropdown lists as follows, we recommend using short and impactful terms here:
- Title in the app: This can be modified, but is by default the event title you added in step 5 above.
- Category in the app: This is determined automatically.
- Subtitle in the app: This is by default the event venue city you added in step 5 above.
Note: these details are displayed in the app when participants switch from one event to another
- Click on Proceed
- In the Summary page, review the event settings, make any necessary edits by clicking on the Edit buttons, and then click Create. Please note that it can take several minutes to create the event.
- Once the event is created, a window will appear called Production workspace created. Click on Continue to your app to directly access your event in Backstage.
Managing the Workspace Settings
Once an event is ready to be accessed by participants, its status in Backstage must be set to “Production”.
Please note that only in two situations the status of the event should be “Production”: 1) The event is ready to be accessed by participants. 2) The app hosting the event is submitted on the App Store for review. This is necessary for the App Review team to be able to test the app. The app publishing team will set the event back to Pre-production once the app is published.
Customizing the Workspace Look&Feel
Make sure to customize the app’s home screen banners next.1. From the Backstage event, select the Home Editor module > Editor > Banner. You may need to press the button to expand all the modules.2. Update your banner.
- All banner images must be uploaded in PNG format with the PNG file extension. Use an image editing software to update or create your banners in the recommended size.
- You will need two banners:
- A portrait version measuring 1500x700px
- And a landscape version measuring 2000x500px
You can also fully control the look and feel of your event from the Theme Editor module. To learn more about how to brand your app, check out our tip sheet “Branding your app” available in the Knowledge Base.
The next step is to add participants to your events. Since you will most likely be testing your event, make sure to add yourself to the event as a participant, too.1. From the Backstage event select the People module > Add Participants. You may have to press the button to expand all the modules.2. To manually add a single participant, complete the following steps:
- Enter the participant’s First Name, Last Name and E-Mail.
- Enter other details if applicable.
- Select the status as Active if the participant is confirmed and will be visible on the in-app participant list. Otherwise select Hidden if the participant should not be displayed. Use the Hidden status if you are registering yourself and should not be visible on the list.
- Click Save.
Activating the Workspace for Testing
The best way to make sure your event content displays as expected in the app is to test it on a device.
- In Backstage, make sure you have added yourself as a participant to the event using the same email address you use to login to Backstage. Use the Hidden status if you need to be invisible on the participant list.
- Download the app from the Apple App Store or from Android Google Play. If your app is not published yet, you can search for "Eventspace by SpotMe".
- Install the app on your mobile or tablet device and open the app. Follow the on-screen instructions and use your Backstage email address.
Participants Activating the Workspace
- Every event includes a standard “Download your SpotMe App” email template. You can customise it or create your own - just be sure to include the correct link to your app.
- For more information on how to invite participants to your app, check out our tip sheet “Creating and Sending Your Invitation Email to Participants” available in the Knowledge Base.
- If a participant is invited to one event only, then the activation link will bring them directly to the event’s home screen.
1. Bulk import - Use the Import XLS feature to directly import your participant list from a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
2. No image editor? If you do not have image editing software installed on your computer you can use Pixlr, an online image editing web app that will enable quick image creation and resizing.
3. Test your app - Before your app is published in the stores, you will be provided with an installation link to test it on your device. Make sure to: Trust the developer under Settings > General > Device Management for iOS or Allow unknown sources under Settings > Lock screen and security > Unknown sources for Android
4. Live updates - Monitor updates in-app by selecting the Synced option in the menu. This will force the app to refresh and the latest data, branding, and configuration changes made in Backstage will be reflected in the app. It is a recommended best practice to sync the app and verify the changes for every major update done in Backstage.