To help your in-person attendees to navigate your event, you can easily import venue maps, including multiple floors, and add interactive markers that are linked to the rooms in which the sessions take place.
Read-on to find out how to create a map in Backstage and how to add interactive markers to it.
What you will need
To create your map, you will need one file for each floor of the venue. Each floor map should be a simple representation of the floor of the venue. Files should be only in .png or .svg format, with a 2000 x 2000 px resolution:
Creating your map's floors
The first step to add an interactive map to your event is to create all the floors that make up the map.
To create a floor for your map in Backstage:
- Go to Content > Maps, via the main menu in the workspace.
- Click on the Floors tab, then Create Floor:
- Fill in all the necessary fields:
ID: The ID is the unique identifier of the floor – it can be left blank if so it will be automatically assigned by Backstage.
Name: The name used within Backstage to identify the floor name.
Status: This field can be set to:
Visible: The floor will be displayed in the app. This is the default status of the floor if if no section is made here.
Hidden: The floor will not be displayed in the app. This option can be used to temporarily hide the floor when it is not open to participants.
Asset: This field is used to select or upload a floor image file to the floor. You can select an image that is already uploaded in the dropdown list, or you can upload a file by clicking on UPLOAD:
Width and height are set by default for the image.
Availability: We recommend you make maps available offline, so that they are automatically downloaded with the app on participants’ devices.
Unique Identifier: This is the unique identifier of the file – it can be left blank, if so it will be automatically assigned by Backstage.
- Click on Select or drop a file to upload a file from your computer, and click on Save Asset.
- Click on Save Item to finish creating the floor. Repeat the steps above for each floor that needs to be added to Backstage.
The created floors will appear in the Floors tab list:
Creating the map
Once all floors have been created in Backstage, they need to be combined to create the map.
- Go to the Maps tab, and click on New map:
- Fill in all the necessary fields:
ID: Set by default by Backstage, please do not modify it.
Name: This is the map’s name that will be displayed in the app
Search enabled: This setting is enabled by default and allows attendees to use the search function in the app.
Maximum, Minimum and Preset Zoom: If needed, you can use these fields to adjust the zoom in the app.
Default Floor: This field is used to select the floor that will be displayed first when attendees open the map in the app. Normally this is the floor where most of the sessions take place (the "main" floor").
Floors: This field is used to select all the floors that need to be added to the map. Floors need to be created first before you can select them in the dropdown menu. Please make sure to include the "Default" floor (field above) here as well.
- Click on Save item to finish creating your floor.
The created map will appear in the list:
Adding the map to the event
The last step is to make your map interactive, by adding markers to the map that will in turn be linked to session locations.
- Go to the Maps tab, and click on the Editor button for the map that you want to add.
- Here you can use the map editor to start editing the map:
- Click on the "edit" (pencil) icon.
- If needed, choose the floor you wan to add a location too in the dropdown menu on the top left side of the editor.
- Click on a location or room in the map to drop a marker:
- Clicking on the marker text, will allow you can set the marker details:
Icon: Choose which icon will be displayed in the map (eg. Circle, Restaurant or Café). New icons can be added to List assets. Please do not select the icons that contain "marker" in their name. Should you need to use a "marker" icon, please download it and then re-upload it with a different name.
Type: Choose whether the marker is for a session or a sponsor area. Do not select map here.
If none of the above is selected, the marker is standalone with no linked app content, for example in the case of markers for a restaurant or a café
Name: Enter a name for the location that will be displayed on the map
BSTG Location: Enter a location name here. In order to link the BSTG location here to a sponsor or a session map location, you will need to use the location link field in the session or sponsor pages:
Show: You can choose here what to display on the map for this location:
- All: both the icon and the label are displayed on the map.
- Icon only: only the chosen icon is displayed, the location name is not shown.
- Label only: only the location name is displayed, the icon is not shown.
- Search only: the location is not displayed on the map unless it is searched for by the attendee, or unless opened from a map location link.
- Search icon only: only the chosen icon is displayed for the location when searched for, or opened from a location link
- Don’t show anything: the location is not displayed on the map, even if searched for or opened from a map location link.
- Click on Save to finish creating the location. You can create as many markers as necessary, then exit the map editor mode by clicking on the edit (pencil) icon again.