In this article you will see how to create and manage the feeds that will be present in the workspace, as well as create, publish and manage the posts that will be published in the feeds.
Feeds are an essential means for workspace participants to interact with one-another and with the workspace, and it is important that Backstage users create and configure them based on their needs.
Creating and managing feeds
Creating a feed
To create a feed, go to the Feeds module and click on the Create a Feed tab.
The below window will open:
in this window you can configure your feed, using the settings as follows:
- Title - the feed title will be used when linking this feed to other items in the workspace.
- Description - the feed description will be used when linking to this feed to other items in the workspace.
- Allow posting / commenting / likes - tick these boxes to allow participants to post, comment, or like posts in this feed.
- Who can post / comment / like - in these fields you can specify which participants can post, comment, or like posts in this feed.
- Order posts by - tick the box here to select the order in which you want the posts to be displayed in the feed. If multiple posts are combined into the Home feed, in can only be displayed chronologically.
- Moderator approval - tick the relevant boxes to determine if you want posts or comments to be approved by a moderator before they are added to the feed. More information on moderation is available further in this article.
- Send email alerts or push notifications to moderators - tick the relevant boxes to determine whether moderators should receive push notifications and/or email alerts when new posts are added to the feed.
- Automatically check for new posts - tick this box if you want the system to check for new posts every minute.
- Disable photo upload - tick this box if you do not want participants to upload photos to posts.
- Moderators - create the feed moderators here, or choose them among the Users list.
- Banner - this is the banner that will be displayed in-app at the top of your feed.
- Icon - this is the icon that will be displayed in-app at the top of your feed.
Note: These settings can all be modified at any time.
Simply go to the Feeds module > All Feeds to find the feed to be modified and change the settings.
Backstage users can use feed targeting to determine which participants will be able to see a particular feed. In the Create a feed page, please refer to the two last options to the right of the screen:
- This item will be visible to participants matching any of - here you can select the participants that will be able to see the feed, using conditions/rules.
- But will remain invisible to participants matching any of - here you can select the participants that will not be able to see the feed.
Adding a feed to the navigation menu
By default, an app user will access feeds from the Home Feed, where all the workspace feeds are grouped. For more information on configuring the Home Feed, please visit the Home Feed page.
Backstage users can also make feeds accessible via the navigation menu. Follow the below steps to add a feed to the navigation menu:
- Go to the SpotMan Menu module in Backstage.
- Under the "Add a custom item" section, select "Feed launcher" in the dropdown menu.
- Customize the label and the icon (or leave the default values).
- To link the feed, in the "Feed to open" field, click on Choose, and then select the feed you wish to link from the list.
Creating and moderating posts
Once you have created a feed and configured the feed targeting, you can start adding content to the feed that will be seen by the workspace participants. Backstage will provide some guidance on how you can do this.
To note, an empty feed can be intimidating to participants, so it is important that you post some content there at the start of the event to encourage participants to continue to post in the feed.
This will also help to set the tone and purpose of your feed.
Posts can be created from Backstage or from within the workspace by participants.
Creating posts from Backstage
Posts created from Backstage are often used to post important content that you want to share with participants via the feed. This could for example be any important information or news, a milestone that was reached, sharing an important articles or page, etc.
To create a post in a feed:
- In the Feeds module, click on the Create a Post tab.
- Fill out the relevant details:
- Title - enter the title if the post, it this will be displayed at the top of your post.
Keep it short and informative.
- Body - enter the text for the main content of your post, there is no limit on the length of it.
- Order - enter a number to manually determine the order in which posts are displayed. A lower number will make the post appear first in the feed.
- Posted at - this is used for scheduling the date and time at which the post will be published.
If this field is left empty, then the post will be published immediately.
- Moderation status - this field is used to see and set the moderation status of the post.
A post that will be published immediately will directly be set to "approved". This is the default setting. A post that is scheduled to be published a a later time/date will be set to "scheduled". Backstage users can change this setting to hide posts whenever needed.
- Linked feed - choose (or create) the feed in which your post will appear.
- Linked user/speaker - use this field to post on behalf of a user or a speaker.
- Image - upload an image that will be displayed just below the text content.
- Video - upload a video that will be displayed just below the text content and play automatically.
- Attachments - add links to the post that point to other content in the workspace, for example agenda items, speaker profiles, pages, etc.
Note: None of the above described fields are mandatory. You will need to add at least a notification body text to avoid creating an empty post.
Tip: Leaving the Posted at and the Order fields empty will pin your post to the top of the feed and make it always visible.
Creating posts on behalf of speakers or users
- Create a Post by following the process described in section above
- Use the Linked speaker or Linked user fields to select a Speaker or a User to post on behalf. If both speaker and user are selected, the post will appear on behalf of the speaker.
Note: You can only choose either a speaker or a user to link the post to, not both.
Creating posts in the workspace
To create a post in the workspace, app users need to:
- Navigate to the Feed in the app.
- Tap the New post icon in the top right of the screen.
- Enter the text and/or attach a photo to the post.
- Tap Send.
To attach a photo, in Android and iOS apps, app users can tap the gallery or the camera icon.
The gallery icon will let participants post a photo that they have already taken, while tapping the camera icon will allow them to take and post a photo directly from the workspace.
Participants using the web app can post any photo from their computer by clicking the attachment icon and selecting a photo.
Mentions and hashtags
When creating a posts within the workspace, app users can mention other participants and add hashtags to their posts.
To mention another participant, users can simply type "@" and type the name of the participant they wish to tag in the post. A drop-down list will appear where the app user can select the participant. When a participant is mentioned in a post they will receive a notification.
Adding hashtags is even simpler, anything a participant will type after entering the "#" will become a hashtag which can then be used to filter posts.
App users can add hashtags to comments and replies, however they will not be visible in the hashtag search.
Posts can be moderated from Backstage by backstage users, or via the workspace by participants who are selected as feed moderators.
- In the Feeds module, go to the All Posts and click on the post you want to moderate.
- From here you can edit the text of the post, or change it's moderation status:
- Edit the text by modifying the Title field for posts created by participants, or the Title and Body fields for posts created from Backstage.
- Remove a photo by clicking the remove icon next to the photo.
- Hide a post by changing the moderation status:
- Approved posts are visible to everyone.
- Disapproved posts will be visible to other in-app moderators, where they can also change the status.
- Pending posts have yet to be reviewed by moderators. They are not yet visible to other participants.
- Deleted posts are not visible to anyone in-app but can be seen in Backstage.
3. Click Save.
Only feed moderators can see these controls in the app.
In-app moderators will receive email notifications for each new post that needs to be moderated. They will have a preview of the post as well as a link to Backstage from where they can approve or hide the post.
As a moderator, app users can therefore open the feed in the app:
Below each post app users will be able to:
- See all new posts that need to be reviewed.
- Review the posts and moderate the visibility status of the posts.
- Delete any post if needed.