Coming soon: workshop mode for video breakouts will be available in the week of April 12, 2021.
When scheduling a video breakout, adding a shared Miro whiteboard is a great way to push team-working, brainstorming and planning to the next level.
In this article we'll show you how you can add a Miro whiteboard to your breakout sessions and share it with your participants.
What you'll need
To embed Miro boards in your breakout, you will need:
- A paid Miro account, with the ability to create and publicly share boards (see Miro documentation for details on creating boards).
- A created and prepared a board for each breakout.
Adding a Miro board to a breakout session
First, you need to to prepare your Miro board for sharing:
- Navigate to your board in Miro.
- Click 🌐 Share.
- Select Anyone with the link: can edit.
- Click outside of the popup to close it.
- Click on the Export button next to your board's name, and select Embed from the dropdown.
- Adjust the shared area of the board.
- Click on Embed code, and Copy to clipboard.
Next, switch to Backstage to enable the integration:
- Navigate to the session that has the breakout in Backstage.
- In the sidebar, go to Video call and click on Schedule.
- Click on Enable embedded frame.
- Paste the embed code from your clipboard (copied previously) into the Embed URL field.
- Click on Save.
Once the participants join the breakout, they will automatically see the embedded board and interact with it.
You'll need to follow these steps for each breakout that you wish to add a Miro board to.
- The embed window size will not be taken into account in the breakout, the board will always only take up the space that is available to it.
- Enabling Miro (or using any type of embed in the breakout) will disable screensharing for the breakout participants.
- To allow participants to skip the "See the board" screen that is displayed by default, you can add "&embedAutoplay=true" to the end of the Miro board embed URL.
- For any issues or questions about Miro's functionality please consult the Miro website: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016335640-Embedding-Editable-Boards-into-Websites