You can add a "Comments" section to a page in the app to capture your participants thoughts or feedback, or create a space for discussion.
Commenting can for example be added to a "Resources" page that contains on demand videos or other documents, a session page, a sponsor profile, or any page of your choosing.
When commenting is enabled on a page, app users (participants, event staff, partners, speakers, etc.) can add their comments to that page. The comments will appear as individual items, and other app users can react to them by liking them, or click on them to add their own responses to fuel the discussion.
By default , all app users can comment on a page if commenting is enabled. You can however use targeting to determine exactly who among the app users can comment on a page.
How does this look in the app
App users can directly add comments to a page, by writing in the "Write a comment field".
Below is an example of a comment added to a page, with the purpose of discussing a specific resource linked to the page (Open Source Usage), as mentioned in the comment:
Other app users can simply like the comment on the page, add their own separate comments to the page, or click on existing comments to join the discussion on that topic.
Below, the app user has opened the comment added above. The title of the initial comment is displayed at the top, with the author's name, and other app users can comment here to exchange ideas:
How to enable comments on a page
- In Backstage, open the page in your workspace that you want to add commenting to.
Here we will open a "Resources" page:
- Click on the pencil icon in the top right to open the page's display template.
- Here you can drag and drop the Comments component from the left side of the screen, into the body of the template:
- You will also need to check that the Likeable behavior is added to the display template, in order to enable "Likes". To do so, open the Behaviors drop down section in the template, and add the behavior:
- Click on Save to close the page's display template.
This page is now open for commenting in the app:
There are some options that can be used to adjust how commenting can be used on a page:
Using the options to the right you can:
- Use the Title field to change the title of the "Comments" section. This could for example be changed to "Ask your questions here" for an FAQ.
- Use the Comments loaded per query field to adjust how many comments will appear at a given time.
- Check the Disable comment posting? box to disable all commenting.
- Check the Disable comment likes? to disable all liking on comments.
- Change the Maximum number of characters that are allowed in comments.
- Add targeting via the Advanced options, if you want to determine which app users will be able to comment on the page.
Note: We recommend that you do not make any changes to the Comment title and Comment subtitle fields.
How to delete or export comments?
It is possible to delete comments on a page via the workspace in Backstage.
To do so, click on the other ... category in the workspace main menu, and click on Comments. Here you will see a full list of all the comments added to the workspace. You can select comments here and delete them if needed.
In this list you can also access a comment to see who posted it, and when.
You can also export a full list of all the comments, using the Export XLS button.