An app user's points can be adjusted manually when needed in order to add or remove points. This can also be used to reward points for activities performed as part of a game, but that are not actually configured in the activity challenge itself.
Point adjustments can be done in Backstage, or by a designated game facilitator via the app.
Adjusting points in Backstage
Adjusting an individual user's points
As a Backstage user, you can manually add or remove points from an app user's score, for any challenge that exists in your workspace. To adjust a user's points:
- In your workspace, go to Interactivity > Activity challenge > Point adjustment tab.
- Select the challenge where you wish to adjust the user's points . Here the selected challenge is called "Let's play".
- Search for and select the user whose points you wish to adjust (here the selected user is "Josip Lisec").
- Click on -De... to delete points from the user, or click on +Add to add points.
- In the first line of the point adjustment window, add the reason for the point adjustment. In the second line, enter the number of points you want to add or remove.
- Click on OK to confirm the adjustment.
- All point adjustments are listed in the Adjustments section for the user, along with the reasons for the adjustments:
Note: The point adjustments are directly made to the user's score in the app and on the leaderboard, and are not listed in the earned points breakdown see by the app user.
Mass point adjustment
If you need to make point adjustments to a large number of users in your challenge, you can add an activity that uses the Activated users provider.
More information on this is available in the Activity configurations article, in the Activated user activity section, using the field called Take points from metadata (private field only).
To summarize, using this activity, you can:
- Create a private "remove points" or "add points" user metadata to adjust the points for in the workspace (this metadata is invisible to the app users, so they won't see it in their profile).
- You can then export the user list from Backstage, and populate the "remove/add points" column in the export for the users you wish to remove or add points to.
For example, if you add "-10" to the "remove points" column for a user, the users score would have -10 points. Likewise, if you add "10" to the "add points"column for the user, the user would receive +10 points.
- Then re-upload the list to implement the point adjustment.
As a Backstage user, you can also make certain app users "game facilitators" and allow them to adjust a user's points
Adjustments not working?
If you notice that the points are not adjusting after you make the changes, check that in your activity challenge the Adjustment timeframe start/end fields are not configured:
Adjusting points in the app via game facilitator(s)
As a Backstage user, you can designate one or more game facilitators. Game facilitators are app users who will be able to reward or remove points from other app users' scores, via the app (therefore without having Backstage access).
An example of how this can be used could be to make a speaker a game facilitator, so they can reward app users for attending a workshop as part of their session.
With the activity challenge module installed on your workspace, a user metadata is automatically added to the workspace called Gamification facilitator. This metadata, by default, is not visible as a field in the app users' profile. To make it visible to app users, and to designate specific game facilitators, you will need to do the following:
1. Go to Content > Users > Display template tab > select the Person template, and then drag and drop the Gamification add adjustments component into the Person display template.
2. Next, you will need to create the options that the game facilitator(s) can choose from when adjusting an app user's points.
In the Gamification add adjustments component, click on Edit Value. Add the name of the point adjustment, the number of points for the adjustment, and whether the points will be rewarded (credit) or removed (debit) for the app user.
You can add multiple point adjustment options, using the + button.
3. Finally, to designate which specific app users will, as game facilitators, have the ability to adjust points for other app users, go to their profiles in Backstage and select the Gamification facilitator checkbox:
Once this is done, the designated game facilitators will be able to go to any other app user's profile in the workspace, via the app, and select the point adjustments they wish to make for that user from a Add points dropdown list:
Once they are made, any point adjustments will be visible to the affected app users in the app, as long as the gamification adjustments component is still added to the display template for the activity challenge, as shown in the example below: