Dark mode is an entirely different variant of your event theme. It uses a dark color scheme for all backgrounds, bringing out your content and often making the screen elements easier on your audience's eyes.
Your event's theme colors are still used for your app menu and buttons, and your banners will make your brand identity stand out even more.
Important: Dark mode is primarily designed for use on the web app. If dark mode is enabled for your event, it will also be applied to participants using mobile apps, however we recommend that you carefully verify how the dark mode displays on mobile app prior to going live, and make any necessary adjustments using the Theme editor.
You may also wish to download our standard app icons to use with dark mode.
How does dark mode look in my virtual event?
Activating the dark mode will change the event appearance in the web app:
How do I switch my event to dark mode?
You can easily use dark mode for the full duration of your virtual event, or just switch it on whenever it is appropriate:
- In your workspace menu, go to Design > Theme, and select the Appearance field:
- Select Dark, and then save your changes.
Important: Feed posts created in Backstage before switching to dark mode will have a default white background. The background color for those specific posts can be changed in Backstage. Use #252627 as the background color and #ffffff as text color.
- Enabling dark mode takes a few seconds in the web app. If you do not see it immediately, try performing a hard page reload (click on your browser's reload button while holding Shift key).
- Remember to test how your event looks when using dark mode. You may need to adjust your icons to ensure that they display nicely with the dark theme. You can also download our standard app icons to use with dark mode below ⬇️
- Feed posts created in Backstage before switching to dark mode will have a default white background. The background color can however be changed in the post in Backstage. To update your posts' colors to match the dark mode, use #252627 as the background color and #ffffff as text color.
- Dark mode is only supported on the web app. Events seen on mobile apps will be displayed using the standard "light" theme and may not be compatible.