You can create custom (or sublists), of users, speakers, sponsors, or sessions within your workspace, based on the information (metadata) in their profiles (or pages for sessions).
For example, you may wish to create a custom list that includes:
- Only the app users that are all from a specific organization or have the same job title.
- Only sessions around a specific criteria, such as a topic.
- Only sponsors that are gold level.
You can use any type of metadata you want in order to identify specific app users, sponsors, speakers, or sessions, and include them in a list. This includes the default fields, for example the organization or position for users, or levels for sponsors, or custom criteria (metadata) that you can create using the Metadata manager.
TIP: Whenever possible, we do not recommend creating custom lists. Instead, we recommend for example applying targeting to sessions, or encouraging app users to use the filtering options available in the app (user filters, session tags, sponsor levels, etc.).
Creating custom lists
Custom lists are created using conditions. This means that you will create conditions that users, sponsors, speakers or sessions need to meet in order to be part of the custom list. More information on using targeting to create custom lists is available in the Targeting article.
To use the custom list builders in Backstage, navigate to the relevant module (Users, Sessions, Speakers, Sponsors) and then:
- Go to Preferences.
- Click on + next to Custom lists.
- Enter the name of the list and optionally configure an icon (it will be used when launching the list from a link in a page).
- Configure the conditions for building the list. Filtering rules can be combined to create complex logic.
To configure a condition:
- Select a metadata field from the dropdown by which you wish to build the list.
- From the second dropdown, select how the system will verify whether an item should be in the list or not, for example:
Equals: value in the presenter/sponsor will have to match one on the right
Contains: value in the presenter/sponsor must contain value on the right (for text this means a part of the string must be contained, while for lists all selected items)
Is defined: value in the presenter/sponsor must be defined (no text and empty lists are considered not to be defined).
- On the right select or type the desired value
Once you have created a custom list, it can be made accessible to app users via the app menu or quick links, or any link on a page. You can then configure who will be able to see the actual link to the custom list, by applying targeting.