The Steps activity challenge can be used as part of the Activity challenge module, to award points to app users based on the number of steps they make over a determined period of time.
More specifically, the steps activity can be configured to reward a certain number of points, on an hourly or daily basis, over a specific period of time or for the entire duration of the event, for app users who have completed a certain number of steps.
Based on these variables, the system will count the steps each app user has made, and reward the points when the app user meets the requirements. App user points are updated every 10 minutes.
To configure a steps activity challenge, you'll need to install the Activity challenge module and create a challenge and an objective to which you will link the activity. More information is available on this in the Activity challenge overview article.
Note: Your workspace container app will rely on the Health API in order to collect data from your app users' devices' health apps, please contact SpotMe support should you need assistance in enabling this. For iOS devices it will connect to the Health app, and on Android devices it will connect to Google Fit.
Configuring the Steps activity
For more general information on how activities work and are configured, please refer to the Activity-specific configuration article. Below, we'll focus on how to configure the Steps activity.
Go to the Activities tab in the Activity challenge module and click on New activity.
Select the Steps provider for the activity. The below options become available:
Enter the information for the activity as follows:
- Choose a Name and some optional Content text for the activity. This will appear in the activity challenge app page, visible to the app user.
- Enter the standard activity point counting information:
- How many points to earn per item done for this activity: By default should be set to "1". The value entered here will multiply the number of points specified in the Edit points per step options (this is rarely used).
- Threshold: The number of times a user can complete the activity and earn the associated points. By default should be set to "1".
- How many points earned when this activity has been completed: Amount of additional points to award when a user fully completes the activity.
- Click on Choose period during which to allocate points to enter the start/end time and dates during which points can be earned for the activity.
- In the Choose timeframe for points field, you will select how you would like to reward points for the activity. There are three options here:
- Event duration: Points will be rewarded once for the activity period, based on a number of steps made during the whole event. This will use the event start and end dates.
- Day: Points will be rewarded for the activity based on a number of steps made per day.
- Hour: Points will be rewarded for the activity based on a number of steps made per day.
- Click on the Edit points per steps field. Here you can choose:
- The number of points that will be rewarded.
- The number of steps the app users need to make during the previously selected time frame (per event, day, or hour) to earn the points.
- Click Save to save the settings and the activity.
Note: Remember to link your activity to the objective, and the objective to the challenge, in the activity challenge module.
The activity will appear in the activity challenge app page, like in the example below:
- When using a per day or hour timeframe for rewarding points, the activity duration must not exceed 48 days.
- The steps activity challenge is not supported on web app.
- Changing any parameter on a running activity will reset the participant's points
Any idea what this means?
- To activate the steps activity challenge in branded apps, please contact support or your account manager.
- The steps activity will rely on the Health API in order to collect data from your device's health app. For iOS devices it will connect to the Health app, and on Android devices it will connect Google Fit. Please ensure these services are enabled on your app users devices in order for the steps activity challenge to work.