This article explains how to embed a third-party stream within the SpotMe app.
Any service that provides a video embedding capability can be embedded within the app.
What you need
To embed a third-party live stream you will need:
- A URL to a web-based video player.
If you are working with a company that is filming and streaming your event, they will be able to provide you directly with the embed URL.
In iOS and Android native apps, web-based video players open in the in-app browser.
For the best possible user experience, the URL that is being embedded should:
- Have no padding and margins on the page.
- Have a responsive video player (100% width and height of the page).
- Use HTML5 standards.
- Auto-play the video with the sound on.
- Not have a button to go full-screen.
How to embed a URL from an AV provider
If you are working with an AV/filming provider then share this page with them. After you receive the embed URL from them, simply create a live stream in Backstage and use the provided URL.
How to embed other live streams
Alternatively, you can embed a stream from any other online service.
- Schedule your live stream on the service.
- Locate the "Share" or "Embed" functionality of the service.
- Get the embed code which will usually look similar to snippet below:
<iframe src="https://example.service.com/stream/123456" width="640" height="320"></iframe>
- Extract the URL of your service's player from the embed code, and add "/embed" to the end of the URL. For the example above, the URL corresponds to:
- Create a new live stream in Backstage, selecting third party stream as the provider, and use the above URL with "/embed".
As the final step you would then add a link to the live stream to a session, feed post or as a menu item.
Please sign in to leave a comment.