The users of a workspace are the physical participants who will access the workspace via the app on their devices.
The first app user of a workspace is automatically the Backstage user who created the workspace. Backstage team members that are given access to the workspace in Backstage are also added automatically as app users.
All the other app users need to be added in Backstage to the workspace, via the Users module.
There are three ways of adding users to a workspace:
- Adding users manually.
- Exporting/importing users via a spreadsheet.
- Integrations from third party systems.
This article will take you through the steps needed to add users manually and via imports.
To access the Users module, go to the Content category in the main menu to the left of the screen, then select Users. You can also select the Users shortcut in the top row of the workspace dashboard.
Adding an app user manually
Follow the below steps to add an individual app user manually to the workspace.
Go to the Content category in the main menu to the left of the screen, then select Users.
In the Users module, click on the New user button, and add the necessary information for the app user.
Tip: There are three mandatory fields here that need to be filled in order to add a user:
First name, Last name, and Email address. The other fields are all optional.
There are also two additional settings here that are important to note:
Analytics allows app user activity to be captured in the workspace. This option is therefore left unchecked by default for app users in the workspace, but is selected for Backstage users who are app users in order to not capture their activity (as they are hidden in the workspace).
Here there are three options possible for app user.
- Active means that the app user will be active and visible in the workspace to other app users, this is the standard option that should be used for your workspace app users.
- Hidden means that the this user will not be visible to other app users.
This option is selected by default for the workspace creator (or Backstage user) to make them invisible to other app users in the workspace.
- Cancelled means that the app user no longer has access to the workspace. This can be used to remove an app user from the workspace.
Click on Save to finish adding the app user.
The Users tab will now open and you will see the app user added there:
Note: Here the workspace admin (Sabrina) is greyed out, because her status is set to hidden, and Brian (the app user that was just added) is visible.
So how does this actually look in the app?
Here we'll take a look at how users are visible in the app, with the list of users and a user's profile
This will allow you to better visualize how the information added to Backstage is seen in the app.
Below is an example of how a list of users can look in the app:
Here you can see:
Below is an example of a user profile:
Here you can see:
Adding multiple app users
To add larger numbers of app users, we recommend that you upload all of the app users in a bulk operation, using an Excel spreadsheet.
This is done by:
- Downloading the existing list of app users as a spreadsheet.
- Adding all the necessary users to the spreadsheet.
- Re-uploading the spreadsheet to Backstage.
Follow the below steps to perform a bulk upload of app users into the workspace via Backstage.
1. Downloading the existing app user spreadsheet
- In the Users tab, select Export XLS.
- Click on Download export.
- Save the spreadsheet locally, and open it in order to edit it.
- The spreadsheet contains a list of the current app users. In the below example there are two users, Sabrina (the workspace creator/admin) and Bryan (the user added manually):
2. Adding the app users to the spreadsheet
The exported users spreadsheet is composed of 15 columns, each column and its content is explained below.
- fp_ext_id: In the export, this is the unique identifier that Backstage has automatically assigned to the user when the user was created manually. This should not be changed for existing users, however you will need to add an ID for the participants you are adding to the event import. This can for example be user001, user002, etc.
- fname: User's first name.
- lname: User's last name.
- company: User's company.
- position: User's title in the company.
- email: User's email address.
- phone: User's phone number.
- mobile: User's mobile phone number
- address: User's address.
- do_not_track: Will the user will be tracked by analytics? ("true" = yes / "false" = no).
- fp_status: Will the user be "visible" or "hidden" to other participants.
- actcode: This is the activation code for the user (generated by the system)
- webappUrl: This is the URL the user can use to access the workspace via web app.
- is_invited: Has the use been invited to join the workspace? ("true" = yes / "false" = no).
- is_activated: Has the user activated the app? ("true" = yes / "false" = no).
Using the above information, you can directly add all the users that you need into this spreadsheet.
Note: Here, like when adding a user manually in Backstage, there are four mandatory columns that need to be filled in: fp_ext_id, fname, lname, and email. The rest are optional.
Important: For app users that you are adding to the spreadsheet in view of importing them, you will need to add a fp_ext_id. This can for example be user001, user002, etc. For app users that were already part of the export, you should not change their fp_ext_id (leave it as bstg_autogen_xxxxxx).
3. Importing the app users spreadsheet
Once you have added all the necessary information to the spreadsheet for all the users you wish to add to the workspace, you can save the spreadsheet locally and then upload it to Backstage to import the users:
- In the Users tab, select Import XLS.
- Click on Choose file, and select the updated user list spreadsheet.
- Select Begin upload.
- Verify that the system has selected the correct column headers in the spreadsheet, if necessary select the correct headers.
- Click on Next.
- The system will perform the import, provide a summary of the updates made to the user list in Backstage, and notify you when the import was successful.
- Click Next if the import was successful.
The app users added to the spreadsheet have now been added to the workspace:
Note: This approach of exporting and importing user information via a spreadsheet can also be used to make multiple edits or updates to user information. Simply export the .XLS, make the necessary changes to the user information in the spreadsheet, and then upload the updated the spreadsheet to the system.
For the next steps in this Getting started series, please continue to the Adding sessions to the workspace agenda article.