Before releasing your iOS app publicly on the App Store, you might want to perform some internal testing first.
To do so, the app must be enrolled into TestFlight - an online service for mobile application testing owned by Apple.
Submit your app to TestFlight
To upload your app to TestFlight please follow the steps below:
1. Upload the .ipa file to your App Store account via the Transporter app.
2. Log in to your App Store Connect account and navigate to My Apps.
3. Find the app you would like to set-up for testing.
4. Click on TestFlight at the top of the page:
You can then decide whether you would like to make the app available to an internal or external user group for testing.
The internal testing is only available to App Store Connect users - those who have been provided with access to your App Store Connect account.
To set up internal group testing:
1. Go to App Store Connect Users in the left menu.
2. Click on the + sign to add new testers:
3. As soon as new build/app version has been added to your App Store Connect account, the internal groups of testers will be notified.
4. To test all available versions of the app, the testers must download the TestFlight application.
You can add anyone who has an existing Apple ID to the external user group.
To set up external group testing:
1. Go to Test Information under the General Information section.
3. Fill out the Beta App Review Information section and provide the login credentials to the Apple Review team.
4. Add a new external group by clicking on the + sign and define the group name:
5. To add a list of pre-defined testers click on the + next to Testers:
6. Fill out the tester details as required:
7. Add the app build that will be tested:
- Click on the + next to Builds.
- Select the app build and click on Add:
8. Once available, click on the Submit/Send for Review button.
The App Store Review team will review the app and once it is approved for beta testing, all testers added to your external group will receive an email with instructions to download and test the app.
To test the app, users will need to:
- Click on the View in TestFlight button available in the received email in order to obtain their TestFlight invitation code.
- Download the TestFlight app on their iOS devices.
- Open the TestFlight app and login with the Apple IDs that were added as testers.
- Click on Redeem at the top right.
- Enter the TestFlight invitation code.
- The app intended for beta testing will then be automatically loaded into the TestFlight environment.
9. Generate a public test link:
- After the app is approved for beta testing, you will be able to generate and share a public app link with your testers - mainly used in cases where the tester list and number is flexible.
- The link will be available under your External user group section > Public Link tab: