How do tags and categories work in the content hub?
What are tags?
Tags are created by content hub admins. They are used by admins to identify videos and documents in the content hub in Backstage, and create categories.
Visitors of the content hub can also use the tags in the web app to filter content. These tags are visible in a bar above the actual content thumbnails (except when displaying the HIGHLIGHTED categories).
In the below example, the visitor has selected the Latest tag, to display any content associated with that tag:
From the admin's perspective, in Backstage multiple tags can be given to the same video or document, and are visible in the Content lists (Videos or Documents), in the Tags column:
How to add tags to content?
Content hub admins can add the tags that they need to the videos and documents in the content hub, and then use those tags to identify content and place it into categories:
- Go to the Content section in content hub, and open the Videos or Documents list to find the item that you wish to add a tag to. Below we will look at the Partnerships video that currently has no tag associated to it:
- Click on the +Add column for that item. This will open the item's associated tags, where you can type to search for existing tags in the content hub or create a new tag. Either select the existing tag ("Latest") or create a new tag based on what you typed (by selecting the option with "new tag"), and then add it to the item:
The added tag will appear in the list for that item:
What are categories?
The HIGHLIGHTED section of the content hub can be used to give some of your content more visibility from your audience, and to sort your content into categories (using tags).
Categories are visible to the content hub visitors, and are displayed in the HIGHLIGHTED section of the content hub in the web app.
In the below example, in the HIGHLIGHTED section there are two categories: "Latest videos" and "Retreats", that each contain content that is associated with certain tags.
Note: Tags cannot be be used by visitors in the HIGHLIGHTED categories (when categories have been created). If no categories are created, the HIGHLIGHTED section will not be visible at all to the audience on the web app.
How to create categories
In the below example there are two categories: "Latest videos" and "Retreats", that each contain content associated with certain tags:
Here, the Latest videos category is created using the "Latest" tag, as created above in the How to add tags to your content section. It therefore contains the Partnerships video, as well as two others that are associated to the"Latest" tag.
To edit or create new categories using tags:
- Go to the Design > Home categories section in the content hub in Backstage.
- Here you can click on the Add category button, to create a new category, or you can edit any existing category by clicking on the ⋮ icon for that category, and then Edit.
You can also change the order of the categories using the tribar icon ≡ to the left:
- Here we have decided to edit the Latest videos category:
Here you can edit:
Category name: The name of the category that will be visible to the audience in the HIGHLIGHTED section of the web app.
Content type: Select whether the category should include just videos, just documents, or all types of content.
Tags: Select the tags that will identify the content that will appear in the category.
Tags logic: Choose how these tags will be used among the two options available.
- Click on Save to save your changes to the category.
The created Latest video category appears in the HIGHLIGHTED tab in the app.